Monday, May 30, 2011

Sewing Retreat Day 2.5

After my last post, I decided I wanted to do something a bit different than work on placemats and napkins, so I cut out a pair of shorts for Miss V.  The fabric is a lightweight stretch denim with lots of fruits and flowers.  I have enough of this in my stash for many, many more pairs of shorts or Capris--not sure what I was thinking when I bought it, but it does look cute in biking shorts.  I used Pattern Master Child's Play v5 to draft the pattern to her measurements I took last weekend.  Can't wait to see her next week to see how they work out.  
Yesterday I pieced and did the binding on ten of these placemats, and also put binding on the ones my sister pieced from an earlier post.  Today I cut and did rolled hems on 14 placemats:  four blue print, six white print and four double-sided frog ones.  The frog mats are actually a project I started many years ago and never finished.  I had the double sided mats completed, but had never finished the napkins.  It is so nice to say that I actually have a project finished!

I hadn't done any rolled hems in years, but I have to say that my serger created all the ones I did today beautifully!  To make the napkins I first cut an 18" square (or two squares if double sided napkins are to be made).  Next I iron them and use a light weight sizing so they have a bit of body.  I then lay them out on my gridded table and use a salad plate upside down to round the corners.  I place the edge of the plate 4" from the corner I'm cutting away in both directions, then use my rotary cutter to cut the corner away.  This makes it much easier to serge a continuous edge around the napkin.

I use a 3 thread rolled edge hemming option with regular serger thread in the left needle, no right needle, and wooly nylon in the looper.  Sometimes, like today, I'll use the heavy wooly nylon in the upper looper as it really gives a nice fill to the hemline.  I start serging just past one of the corners and cut about 1/8" off as I go.  Since sergers really want straight paths, when I get to a curve I sort of push/pull the fabric around making sure I'm still cutting only that 1/8" off.  As I near the beginning spot, I hold out the starting thread tail so the cutter snips it away and make sure that there is a bit of the hem that is double serged before I serge off.  I cut the tail fairly close and then use Fray Block to seal the threads.

No comments:

Post a Comment