Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sewing Retreat Day #1

We've been sewing now since about 11:00 a.m.  I've been working on two of the three sets of placemats I have to do.  Right now I'm working on binding two of the sets. I used to hate putting the binding on my quilted projects, but no more.

I make my binding on the bias, and there are many good sites you'll find if you don't know how to cut it.  For these placemats I cut the binding into 2.25" strips, then pieced the strips together, fold and press them, and wrap them in a coil.  My trick is then to put them in a bowl.  The bowl is one of my secrets!  I place it on the floor and let the binding feed up as I need it.

My second trick is using the Marti Michell corner templates on the bias strip ends.  This really helps line them  up when connecting them.

On these placemats I'm sewing the binding to the back.  My third trick is to ALWAYS begin with the larger side on the long edge of the fabric.  If you enlarge the picture, you can see how I've laid the strip down ready to begin sewing.  I leave about 5" unsewn, then start down the side of the placemat.  When I get about a quarter inch away from the corner, I backstitch a few stitches, then raise the presser foot and cut the threads.  I use the fold over and then down methods that is illustrated at  Heather Bailey's site.  Look at steps E, F & G.  http://www.heatherbaileydesign.com/HB_QuiltBinding.pdf  When I get around to the beginning side, I sew a little of it and then leave at least 5" unsewn so I can attach it to the beginning section.

My partners in crime on this retreat are also working on quilt projects.  Maggie has one quilt top done and Kris is working on a rail fence pattern for her son.  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment