Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quilting Batiks

The last couple of nights I've been quilting the placemats my sister pieced to take home with her.  She hasn't done much sewing before, and it's been fun to watch her catch the bug.  She picked batiks for her first project, and the mats are coming out beautifully. 

After she got them pieced, it was my turn to do the quilting.  I really enjoy machine quilting small projects.  I most often do a meandering stipple type stitch, and that's what I chose for her placemats.  When we started to discuss the different types of threads available, she was really interested in variegated threads.  Since my favorite type of thread to quilt with is Superior's King Tut, we visited a friend who has quite a collection and auditioned various threads for the job.

We finally decided on color 901, which has green, fuchsia, yellow and orchid colors running throughout it.  I've taken a couple of closeups, and if you click on the pictures of the small pieces of fabric you can better see how the different colors make the fabric really pop.  The binding will have to wait for a bit, but it's nice to have this much finished.

1 comment:

  1. I love batiks! Your quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete