Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Serging with Polyarn

I recently finished another project--another set of place mats for my Mom.  The fabric was a gift from a friend who had made her husband a quilt out of it and I got the leftovers.  Pretty good leftovers, wouldn't you say?  Thanks, Maggie!

My sister pieced the squares, then I quilted and bound the place mats and serged around the napkins.  Instead of using Wooly Nylon, I had gotten some Polyarn from Superior Threads I wanted to try, and am I ever glad I did.  I used it in both the upper and lower loopers, and regular sewing thread in the right needle.  It is so much easier to change to a rolled hem stitch on my Babylock Imagine Wave serger than it has been on my previous two.  The results are pretty good, too.  I think there will be more Polyarn in my ordering future.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your helpful comment. Its really nice to find someone who has had this machine a little longer then me and is mostly happy with it. Thanks for the tips and link for the feet. I have recently bought the Pfaff seam guide foot with IDT http://www.gursewingmachines.com/pfaff_seam_guide_foot_with_idt_(820772_096)-sewing_feet.htm. I think this has been my answer to the slight vearing to my fabric that I mention. The foot is a lot wider then many of the others, therefore has more contact with the feed dogs and needle plate. I can use it with my straight stitch plate so dont need to move the needle, and it not only gives me a 1/4 inch seam but the same foot also gives me 3/8ths of an inch, 1/2 inch and 5/8ths of an inch, so its like 4 feet in one! I will definitely try the stitch in the ditch foot and the Bi level foot that you mentioned. I've been hand sewing my binding at the moment and want to try using my machine for this.

    I quite like the auto foot lift. It means I dont have to raise the presser foot if I want my pressed open seams to stay open when going over them. I just stop and they fall back into place and I can carry on. I tried turning it off to see which I prefered but kept forgeting it wouldnt lift when I tie off, I guess I'm just used to it!

    Sorry for my long post on your blog, I tried to reply on email but it appears your a noreply blogger (you havnt added your email address in your blogger settings) so this is the only way I can reply.

    Glad I found your blog as I'm now a follower, I will have to try the King tut thread that you like to use. I'm on a quest to find the perfect thread!

    Place mats are a great idea I will have to make some for my new kichen as the old ones now dont match!

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback. I hope you like making the place mats as much as I do. I saw a photo on one of my yahoo groups that the new machine Pfaff is introducing at their convention this week has a metal quilting foot. I hope it fits our machine as well.

    ReplyDelete