Friday, July 29, 2011

Sewing for Myself

When I first started to sew, I was a perfect size 12 pattern and could go to the fabric store, buy a pattern, and sew it up over the weekend to wear to work on Monday.  Of course this was before kids.  I did have to make alterations to pants because I have short legs, and I had to take out at least 4", but there was a line on the pattern I could fold and just take out the amount I needed and be done with it.  That was 35+ years ago, and it doesn't work that way now, unfortunately!  I've become a bit shorter and much rounder, so sewing is much more of a challenge.  Enter two things--patterns that are sized for more realistic bodies and pattern making software.  We've come a long way, baby!

I've tried several programs that let you put in your measurements and get a pattern printed, and keep coming back to Wild Ginger's products.  I have four of the products: the original, Pattern Master Boutique and the sleepwear/undergarment/exercise wear program, Curves, the new Pattern Master Knits, and Child's Play, the program for sewing children's clothing.  I really, really love these programs.  The original learning curve is steep, and because they are updated quarterly you might have to go through the fitting process with a sloper again, but they payback when you get it right is amazing.  There are many style pieces to pick from, so you really do enjoy designing and the best part is the tweaking you can do to accommodate some body areas that don't exactly conform to the standard measurements.  I even use these when I make pants for Miss V--she needs both front and back crotch extensions for shorts and pants to fit her well, and we've hit on the perfect numbers so her shorts, pants and capris fit like they were made for her! :)

A recent find has been the Today's Fit line by Sandra Betzina published by Vogue.  A friend  made one up at the recent retreat and we all tried it on.  I was truly impressed by the fit, even though it was snugger than I liked, I purchased Vogue 1085 and sewed one up for myself and one for my sister, and while we have different body types, it looks great on us both.  I had to make a minor adjustment taking up the center seam of the sleeve (two-piece sleeves) about half an inch on each side to get the fit I wanted in the shoulders, but it will make a great fall top.  As soon as I get around to the finishing touches (hemming and putting the binding on the neck), I'll post a picture.  I've just ordered more of these patterns and will keep you posted as to how grandma body friendly they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment